TODAY'S SPECIAL: Read: Genesis 4:1-12
TO CHEW ON: "Then the Lord said to Cain,'Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.'” (Genesis 4:6,7)
God told Cain and Abel to sacrifice animals to Him. Cain and Abel both worshiped God by making sacrifices. But Cain disobeyed and offered fruit from the plants he had harvested. Abel obeyed and offered animals from his flock.
God was pleased with the animal sacrifice. He didn’t accept the plant sacrifice. He had told Cain what He wanted. Here are some things Cain could have done. Which one did he choose to do?
1. Bought an animal and sacrificed it.
2. Ignored God and made another sacrifice of his harvest.
3. Became so upset, he murdered the brother who pleased God.
4. Argued with God about why his plant offering was just as good as an animal offering.
Sometimes we don’t like to hear what God says to us. He may tell us ways we need to change. He may make us aware of people we’ve wronged, or remind us of things for which we should apologize. But God will never force us to do the right thing.
PRAYER: Dear God, please help me to choose Your right way. Amen.
SUPERSIZE IT: Right Choices
Suggest good choices to make if you find yourself in these situations:
1. You accidentally break Mom’s favorite mug.
2. You’ve forgotten all about the test teacher promised today.
3. You find a purse in the washroom of a mall. It has lots of money in it.
4. A bunch of girls in your class are bullying another girl.
5. You’re only half finished delivering your papers, and you’re due at baseball practice.