Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Caught

TODAY’S SPECIAL: 2 Samuel 18:1-14

TO CHEW ON: "Now Absalom happened to meet David’s men. He was riding his mule, and as the mule went under the thick branches of a large oak, Absalom’s head got caught in the tree. He was left hanging in midair while the mule he was riding kept on going." 2 Samuel 18:9


David was on the run from his son Absalom. David thought of all the things Absalom had on his side – the army, many of the people, even the wisest counselor Ahithophel. “God, please spoil Ahithophel’s advice,” David prayed.

Down the road David met his friend Hushai. He was also known as a wise man. “I’m coming with you,” Hushai told David.

But seeing Hushai gave David an idea. “Why don’t you help me another way?” he said. “I’d really like it if you went to Absalom and pretended you were going to be on his side. Then when Ahithophel tells Absalom what to do, you can suggest something that isn’t as wise.”

Hushai did as David asked. When Ahithophel told Absalom he should go after David right away, Hushai said, “No, that’s not a good idea.” Then he suggested they wait till his army gathered.

When Absalom decided to follow Hushai’s advice, Hushai sent spies to David to tell him what was going on.

The delay helped David and his men get organized. Even so, Absalom’s army was soon nearby. The two sides met in a thick forest. Did they have any chance against Absalom’s army, David wondered.

Absalom rode his kingly mule into battle. When he met David’s men, his mule took off with him on it. As they passed under a tree, Absalom’s long hair got caught in the branches of an oak, while the mule ran away.


There he was, hanging from the tree by his hair!

Soon someone found him. They recognized him as Absalom and called Captain Joab, who put him to death.

Absalom’s plan to become king seemed foolproof. He had plotted and schemed to make it happen. He had won people over to his side and had an army with wise advisors. But his plan was not God’s plan. God wasn’t with him and in the end, everything fell apart.

PRAYER: Dear God, help me to keep trusting You even when things look impossible Amen.

MORE: Wise Man Who Am I?
In Bible times kings relied on the advice of wise men like Ahithophel and Hushai. The Bible has stories of other wise men. Can you guess the name of each wise man by his clue? Use the Bible references if you like.

1.I was a believer in Jesus who won debates against the religious teachers of my time because I was wise. Who am I? (Acts 6:8-10)

2. I and my friends were the wisest of all the king’s servants-in-training after living on only vegetables and water. Who am I? (Daniel 1:19-20)

3. The Bible called me the wisest man who ever lived. Who am I? (1 Kings 4:29-31)

4. After I told the king the meaning of his dream, he put me in charge of the land of Egypt. Who am I? (Genesis 41:39-40)





Answers

************
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments: