Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Parent Problems

TODAY’S SPECIAL: Proverbs 23:19-25

TO CHEW ON: "Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old." Proverbs 23:22

Have you ever had thoughts like this:
- My parents are too serious. They just want me to work and not have any fun.
- My parents are old fashioned. They don’t understand me and my friends.
- My parents don’t let me do anything. All my friends are allowed to do it, why can’t I?

Kids getting along with parents, and parents getting along with kids has been a big deal since kids and parents were invented. In our Bible reading today, Solomon gives advice to kids on how to handle all the do's and don’t's that parents give.

Which things he does not say Proverbs 23:19-25 :
1. Don’t join those who overeat and drink a lot of wine.
2. As long as there’s an adult to supervise, you can go.
3. Be disciplined.
4. Make a project out of becoming wise and getting understanding.
5. You become like the people with whom you hang out.
6. It isn’t a big deal to your parents whether or not you obey them.
7. When you show yourself a wise, good person, you’ll make your parents proud and happy.

Though it may be natural for kids and their parents to have some clashes, it’s important to remember a few things about your parents before you ignore what they say:

1. They know you very well. They have taken care of you for years and have lived with you in good times and bad.

2. They love you very much. Your parents work hard to provide food, clothes and a house for you and want only your best.

3. They have more experience than you have. They may have made some of the same mistakes they see you making. By giving you advice, they may be trying to save you from trouble.



PRAYER: Dear God, please help me to value, respect, obey and love my parents. Amen.

MORE: My parents
Appreciate the parents you have.
1. Write five things you like/love about your mother.
2. Write five things you like/love about your dad.

Answers

***********
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Adult readers - DAILY DEVOTIONS FOR ADULTS  are available too at Other Food: daily devo's

1 comment:

John Kim said...

Good old kids problems, I wish life could be that simple again